Things I’ve Learned from Madame C.J. Walker’s Legacy


We all have the desire to be well off one day due to our hard work and dedication and we all want to leave a legacy behind for our children and for them to continue the legacy to the next generation. 

Madame CJ Walker did exactly that.

According to madamecjwalker.net, a website dedicated to preserving Walker’s legacy, Madame C.J. Walker was America’s first female millionaire. She amassed her fortune through hard work, innovative ideas, and a fierce dedication to her craft and her people.


Why Madame C.J. Walker Inspires Me



When I read about her it seemed as if Madame CJ Walker had been living inside my brain because we both have the same dedication when it comes to our hair. As a woman who suffers from scalp psoriasis, it is very important for me to educate myself and to learn how to remedy the condition. I’m not a doctor but I’m able to tell women what I did to remedy my problem from the knowledge that I have gained on the subject the same way Madame C.J. Walker did. She started what she called her “hair growing” business out of a desire to remedy her own hair loss. In my case, I wanted to remedy my condition to prevent hair loss and that’s exactly what I did.

In the very near future I would love to take the knowledge that I have on scalp psoriasis and create hair products for people who suffer like I do. I would love to be able to educate women through seminars and books and to let them know that they are not alone when suffering from this embarrassing condition. When I read how Madame CJ Walker purchased and paid for a home that was attached to a factory and laboratory it gave me valuable insight and let me know that my goal is very possible to achieve.

"To be exact, I want to leave a legacy behind for them to carry on".  

Madame C.J. Walker's Impressive Legacy 


According to the madamecjwalker.net, by the time of her passing in 1919, Madame C.J. Walker had built one of the largest black owned manufacturing companies in the world; she had an international network of over 15,000 Madame Walker agents, beauty schools in three states, and a 32 room mansion at Irvington-on-the-Hudson, New York.

I know that I am not going to live forever and I would love to achieve and accomplish something similar before God calls me home to be with his other angels. I would love to have books and product lines that are here long after my passing and have my children, grand-children and great grand-children be a part of something positive and important. To be exact, I want to leave a legacy behind for them to carry on.

When I get my brand up and running I want to put money aside for my family so that they don’t have to struggle as hard as I did in life. Don’t get me wrong, the struggle made me the person that I am today and the struggle makes you appreciate everything that you have because you worked hard for it.

When I say leave money for them I mean for education and to have stocks invested for them because you never know what roller coaster ride life is preparing them for and as a mother I want my children to be protected at all times and so did Madame CJ Walker. Her only child A’Lelia Walker became President of the Madame C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company of Indiana and was given a large portion of the company’s stock when her mother died.


Madame C.J. Walker / Copyright 2014, Madame C.J. Walker.net
Madame C.J. Walker / ©Madame C.J. Walker.net
We have to give credit where credit is due. If it wasn’t for this remarkable woman, I truly believe that our hair care would truly lack because we wouldn’t have benefitted from her knowledge and desire to make quality black hair care products available to us.

Dignity


As I was doing my research on this amazing woman, I came across a statement that I must share. This statement is something that I always tell people, young women in particular, who love to go out in public looking less than put together. You have to take pride in your appearance. You have to take responsibility of your appearance. You can’t get mad when people look at you odd when you are not put together - and that means starting with your hair on down. I know hair care is expensive but it’s no more expensive than the designer bags we carry. Start looking the part and start acting the part. Carry yourself with grace and dignity and most of all with respect.

Madame C.J. Walker said, “Right here let me correct the erroneous impression held by some that I claim to straighten the hair. I deplore such impression because I have always held myself out as a hair culturist. I grow hair … I want the great masses of my people to take greater pride in their personal appearance and to give their hair proper attention”.  

"With hard work and dedication we can do anything and achieve anything that we put our minds to".
Even back then the focus on proper hair care was extremely important. Having health hair is a must! We have to take pride in our appearance because that is the first thing people see. They don’t know we are educated all they see is how we look and display ourselves.

There is also a message behind Madame C.J. Walker story and that message is with hard work and dedication we can do anything and achieve anything that we put our minds to. Nothing is given to us. We can all make a name for ourselves and it’s up to us how we want to be remembered and most importantly we must take pride in our appearance and most of all we must take pride in our hair -starting with healthy natural hair. Madame CJ Walker is no different from you and me.

Author:
Simply Rose’s Daughter
FNH Contributor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks